Curbside Recycling Program Changes
Important Updates to City of Urbana Curbside Recycling Service
1) The current contractor, Waste Management, will provide curbside recycling service through Thursday, August 31, 2017. On the last collection day, WM will collect any WM branded recycling toters currently being utilized by recycling customers.
2) The 18 gallon maroon bins will no longer be used after Thursday, August 31, 2017. They will be collected and recycled when placed curbside.
3) The new contractor, Rumpke will be converting the curbside recycling program to a fully automated program which will utilize 65 gallon carts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvpElHKTBHY. If you require a second cart, there is a $3.00 monthly rental fee for this cart. Please contact Rumpke by calling 1-800-223-3960.
4) During the week of August 28, 2017, a Rumpke contractor will be delivering new Rumpke branded, 65 gallon carts to all city addresses. The cart is assigned to the specific address where the cart is delivered, and the cart shall remain at that address. After the cart delivery process is complete, if a resident opts to not participate in the curbside recycling program, by ordinance, the applicable recycling fee will remain on the monthly utility bill. However, the resident may call Rumpke to request that the cart be picked up. Rumpke will not collect any unused carts until approximately 30 days after the first delivery. Residents are encouraged to utilize the program and the carts.
5) Starting the week of September 4, 2017 (Labor Day Week), Rumpke will begin providing curbside recycling service to city residents. Service will be provided on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Wednesday service will be provided to locations west of East Lawn Avenue and north of US 36 (Miami/Scioto). Thursday service will be provided to locations east of East Lawn Avenue (including East Lawn Avenue) and south of US 36 (including Miami/Scioto). Rumpke has recently mailed flyers to residents with their service date reflected on the mailer. Due to the Labor Day Holiday, Wednesday service will be moved to Thursday, and Thursday service will be moved to Friday.
Wednesday (Rumpke Mailer)
Thursday (Rumpke Mailer)
6) Under the new contract with Rumpke, the monthly cost for curbside recycling service will increase from $3.18 to $3.25 per month (effective with the September 2017 utility bill).
7) Through the city's contract with Rumpke, the city may be able to accommodate curbside recycling for businesses or multiple family residences. However, per city ordinance, recycling for businesses or multiple family residences is not required. In order to participate, the business or multiple family residence must receive a city utility bill. In addition, service has to be provided from the curbside and is limited to what can be accommodated with 65 gallon carts. For more information, contact Doug Crabill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 937-652-4305. The city will determine on a case by case basis if service is able to be provided.