The questions below are grouped in similar topics.
- What is the City's contact information?
- What hours is the City open?
- Is there handicapped access to the City Building?
- Where is the public parking in downtown Urbana?
- What ward do I live in and who is my council representative?
- Does the City have a local television channel?
- How do I get a background check?
- How can I get an accident report?
- How can I get an incident (police) report?
- Can I get a solicitor's license?
- How long are vehicles allowed to be parked on the street?
- How long are vehicles allowed to be parked on private property?
- What is the cost to redeem an impounded car that is being held at the City Impound Lot?
- What is the cost to have a court-ordered club removed fom a vehicle?
- Who has the right of way when the traffic signal is not working?
- How can I find the zoning for a specific address?
- Where do I find the Ohio Building Code?
- Do I need a contractor's license?
- How can I find out if a contractor is licensed?
- What needs to be submitted to Engineering to meet storm water requirements?
- Does the City of Urbana have an income tax? What is the rate? Do I have to file?
- Who do I call for questions on my water bill?
- How can I determine if I have a water leak?
- What should I do if I have a water leak?
- Can I get a rate deduction for my sprinkler?
- Where do I pick up water and sewer tap permits?
- Do I need an inspection of my water or sewer connection?
- Am I allowed to put up yard sale signs?
- Can I have a fire pit in my backyard?
- Can I have a residential key box (for emergency entry by the fire department)?
- Will the Fire Department get a cat out of a tree?
- Where do I find the Ohio Fire Code?
- Why can't I go to the hospital of my choice when picked up by the squad?
- How can I get a burn permit?
- Is my water safe to drink?
- Whom do I call about a street light that is out?
- Does the City pickup brush and tree limbs?
- Does the City pick up leaves?
- Why does the City plow in my driveway?
- Does the City spray for mosquitoes?
- Does the City have a landfill or a place to dispose of unwanted items?
- Does the City offer children or youth sports?
- Does the City offer any adult sports?
- What are the hours of the airport cafe?
- What is the phone number of the Airport Cafe?
- Does the airport have a flight school?
- Can I get an airplane ride?
- Does the City marry people?
City of Urbana
205 S Main
Urbana OH 43078
In general, Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm, except for Federal holidays and weather emergencies. Court is open 7:30am - 4:00pm. Even when the building is not open, the police can be reached from the red phone in the Market Street entrance.
Yes - please uese the Market Street entrance for handicapped access to all departments.
See the City Maps page for the current Downtown Parking Map.
The City Ward Map will show you which ward you live in. Contact information for City Council representatives can be found under City Government on this website.
Yes. On CT Communications it is channel 13, and on Time Warner Cable the local channel is 5.
Background Checks, also known as Criminal Record Reports, can be obtained at the Police window during office hours, which are 8:00AM to 4:00PM, Monday through Friday. Please bring a picture ID with you.
Accident reports can be picked up at the Police window in the Municipal Building during office hours, 8:00AM to 4:00PM, Monday through Friday.
Requests for Incident Reports may be made at the Police Window in the Municipal Building during office hours, 8:00AM to 4:00PM, Monday through Friday. Some reports may have to be approved by the City Prosecutor for release, so they may not be readily available.
License for Peddlers, Solicitors, Canvassers, Itinerant Vendors, or Transient Dealers can be obtained at the police window during office hours. The requirements for a license are as follows: 1.) Fill out an application; 2.) Be fingerprinted; 3.) Provide a picture ID; 4.)Pay a $10.00 fee. All licenses shall end December 31, of that calendar year in which they are acquired, regardless of the date the license is issued. Also an identification badge will be issued and shall be worn when peddling, soliciting, or canvassing.
If the vehicle is operable it may be parked for 30 days. If it is obviousy inoperable, it may only be parked for 2 weeks.
It becomes a four-way stop.
We have a zoning map to help you identify the type of zoning for an address. If you still cannot identify your zoning, call 937-652-4322.
The Champaign County Building Department located at Southpoint, 1512 S US Highway 68, Suite Q100, has a copy for viewing. The Champaign County Library also has a reference copy.
Yes, in order to perform any type of construction for pay in Urbana, you will need a Contractor's License.
The Champaign County Building Regulations maintains a current list. They can be contacted at 937-484-1602.
When adding more than 576 sq. ft. of hard surface, you must submit a Storm Water Control Plan. See Property Improvements.
Yes. 1.4%. Everyone living in the City of Urbana must file City Income Tax. See the Income Tax page for more information.
Contact the Utility Billing office at 937-652-4315.
If you have a high water bill and your meter is in your house (not in a pit between your house and the road), you can verify that you have a leak by looking at the red triangle below the 6-digit meter reading. The triangle should only move if there is water running.
Common causes of high water bills are toilets and water softeners. If the toilet is wet around the bottom or must be jiggled to stop running, it is probably the cause. If a water softener is continually generating, it may be the cause.
Contact a plumber. Whether the leak is in your house or in the service line (between your house and the road), you are responsible for the repair.
The City can put on a Deduct meter for water used outside the home. Sewage costs are deducted for water that goes through the deduct meter.
You can purchase water and sewer taps and permits at the Utility Billing office located in the Municipal Building.
Yes, unless the water tap was put in by the City, you will need an inspection. Contact the Utility Billing office at 937-652-4315.
Yes, but only on your own property. We encourage using garage sale ads in the newspaper.
Fires used to cook food are allowed if they meet the following criteria:
- Only clean wood is allowed. No lumber.
- The container is no larger than 3 ft. by 3 ft.
- The smoke is not too heavy causing neighbors to complain.
You may purchase a residential key box. Contact the Fire Department at 937-652-4371 or come to the Fire Department window in the Municipal Building. Use the Water St. entrance. Price depends on the key box chosen.
You can view the Ohio Fire Code online at http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/ohiofire.
Squad transportation is only for emergencies. For emergencies, State law requires that patients be transported to the closest appropriate hospital. If a patient needs to go to hospital a distance from Urbana, transportation by helicopter is preferred to driving the entire distance.
Since the passage of the Clean Air Act, all burn permits are issued by the Ohio EPA. Contact the Southwest District Office of the EPA at 800-686-8930.
City of Urbana Potable Water meets or exceeds all State and Federal Drinking Water Rules, Standards and Regulations. The water may be considered generally safe for most uses. Some uses, such as Industrial Cooling and Aquatic Horticulture may require further treatment. At Risk populations may wish to consult their physicians concerning individual health concerns.
Contact the City Administration at 652-4300 or complete the Street Light Form. You will be asked for the light number, which is located on a metal tag attached to the pole.
The City only picks up brush and tree limbs for free after a storm, but the City operates a Compost/Mulch Facility where residents can haul brush, tree limbs and other yard waste. At the Compost Facility residents can pay a fee for brush pickup. Click here for more information.
The City picks up leaves only in the fall. Check the Calendar of Events for the start date of this year's leaf pickup. Residents may take leaves and grass and other yard waste to the City's Compost Facility during operational hours. Click here for more information.
The snowplows move the snow to the side of the road. If there is snow on the road in front of a driveway, it will be moved to the edge of the driveway. To minimize the amount of snow, be sure to shovel snow into the yard and not the street.
Urbana hires a pest control company to spray for mosquitoes during the summer, usually every other Wednesday night from May through September.
No. Check out the North Central Solid Waste website.
Children and Youth sports are handled by Urbana Youth Sports.
Depending upon interest, the City organizes the following softball leagues in April: Monday Night Church League, Thursday Night Mens League, and Friday Night Coed League. Contact the Parks Office at 937-652-1053 for more information.
The Airport Cafe is open Tuesday - Saturday, 6:30AM - 7:30PM, Sundays 8:00AM - 3:00PM. It is closed Mondays.
Yes, the airport has a flight school. Contact Aaron Coleman at 937-652-3051.
Yes. Contact Aaron Coleman at 937-652-3051.
Contact the Champaign County Municipal Court. at 653-7376.