Zoning & Compliance Division
INFORMATION ABOUT THE DIVISION
The Planning & Zoning Division separates uses that are incompatible and prevents new development from intruding-on existing residents, businesses, and manufacturers. By dividing the City into districts, Urbana City Council encourages new development and redevelopment in areas of the City best-suited to service each type of use.
The City uses a mix of zoning approaches to grow and redevelop intelligently. This involves flexibility, creativity, and communication between developers, the public, and government agencies. The Planning & Zoning Division works with property owners, residents and businesses, all City departments, several County departments, and the City's Planning Commission, Design Review Board, and Board of Zoning Appeals.
WHEN IS A ZONING PERMIT OR CONFORMANCE REQUIRED?
An approved Zoning Permit is required before any stucture is erected, moved, added to, or structurally altered (Section 1105.11). "Structure" means:
- Anything constructed or erected, the use of which requires location on the ground or attachment to something having a fixed location on the ground. Among other things, structures include buildings, mobile homes, walls, fences, and signs (Section 1102.01, 126.).
Zoning conformance is required before the use or occupancy of any land or structure is created, erected, changed, converted, or wholly or partly altered or enlarged in its use (Section 1105.16). "Use" means:
- The specific purposes for which land or a structure is designated, intended for, or arranged (Section 1102.01, 130.).
There may be other permits and/or licenses required by other agencies. Among others, agencies that may require additional permits and/or licenses are listed below:
- Auditor's Office: (937) 484-1600
- Building Regulations: (937) 484-1602
- Engineering Department: (937) 652-4324
- Fire Department: (937) 652-4374
- Health District: (937) 484-1605
- Street Department: (937) 652-4334
- Utility Billing: (937) 652-4316
- Wastewater Department: (937) 652-4331
- Water Department: (937) 652-4335
- Zoning Division: (937) 652-4322
OFFICE HOURS & DIVISION STAFF
We're here to help. Contact or visit us for information or for assistance with local planning and zoning concerns. We do not want to miss your visit and we want to give you the attention you deserve--please call to schedule an appointment.
Zoning Officer: Adam Moore (937) 652-4322
Hours: M-F from 8:00AM-5:00PM
Click here to visit the Economic Development section of the City's website.