Water Reclamation Facility 1263 Muzzy Road, Urbana, OH 43078
Chad Hall - Plant Superintendent
CALL TO SCHEDULE A CAMERA INSPECTION OF YOUR SEWER SERVICE LINE, PROVIDED FREE TO CITY UTILITY CUSTOMERS
The City of Urbana Water Reclamation Facility (WasteWater Treatment Facility) is located southwest of the city on Muzzy Road. The original Facility was constructed in 1915 and one of the buildings still exists. In 1954, a new Facility was constructed on the same site providing complete treatment and designed for an average flow of 1.5 MGD. The Facility was introduced as a Tricking Filter system with Primary and Secondary Settling Tanks with anaerobic digestion. In 1973, construction was started on updating and expanding the existing plant facilites. The expansion consisted of aeration tanks, aerobic digesters, and 2 settling tanks for secondary clarification. This upgrade (current construction progress May 2015) increased the facility average flow to 3 MGD treatable. In late 1991 through 1992 the WPCF received its next upgrade. At that time the N-viro process was introduced and allowed the Urbana WPCF to produce Class A exceptional quality sludge (EQS). Along with the N-viro process, a chlorine contact tank, and a post aeration tank were designed. The Class A sludge was land applied to our area farmers at agronomic rates as a lime product
During the 2014 calendar year, the WRF treated 702 million gallons of wastewater, As a by-product of domestic and industrial wastewater treatment, the City of Urbana produced 715 dry tons of bio-solids that were beneficially used at agronomical rates on over 300 acres of Ohio EPA approved farm ground. This total includes 70 dry tons produced due to demolition of the old primary digesters to allow for the erection of two new digesters.
The City of Urbana operates and maintains a Septage Receiving Facility with 14 registered haulers. In 2014, we accepted 5.2 million gallons of septic tank waste originating from Champaign and Clark counties. The Urbana WRF staff currently consists of 10 staff members, 3 of which hold a State of Ohio operator certification Class III license, 1 operator holding a Class II, and 2 operators holding Class I licenses.