Income Tax Forms & Frequently Asked Questions

Location: Municipal Building, 205 S Main (use Market Street entrance)
Hours: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday
Phone: 937-652-4314
Fax:  937-652-5117

Listed below are the Urbana income tax forms and frequently asked questions.  The forms are in pdf format.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, you can download it for free at

Individual Income Tax Form
Individual Exemption Form 
New Business / Professional Questionnaire 
Corporate / Business Return 
Employer Monthly Withholding due on 15th day of following month 
Employer Quarterly Withholding due on last day of following month
 1st Quarter    2nd Quarter    3rd Quarter  4th Quarter

Employer Year End Reconciliation 

Quarterly Estimate Forms

What is the individual income tax rate in Urbana?

One and four-tenths percent (1.4%). If an individual pays income taxes to another municipality, a credit of up to one percent (1%) is allowed.

When are my city income taxes due?

April 15 is the due date. To be considered timely filed the return must be received on or before April 15. A return that is mailed must be postmarked April 15 or before. The cancellation from a postage meter does not constitute a postmark and the day that the City of Urbana receives the tax return will determine the date of filing.

Where do I obtain tax forms?

Forms are available at the Finance Department located in the City Building, 205 S Main.  Forms can also be downloaded from the website.

Where do I file my City tax return?

A tax return is due on or before April 15 and can be dropped off at the City Building between the hours of 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Monday thru Friday or can be mailed to Income Tax, 205 S Main, PO Box 747, Urbana, OH 43078.

If I live in Urbana and my employer withheld enough city tax, do I still have to file a tax return?

Yes, Urbana requires that a timely tax return be filed even if no additional tax is owed.

Can I apply for an extension of time to file my return?

Extensions of up to six months may be obtained for the time to file a net profit tax return. The request will be automatically approved provided that:

  1. an extension request is submitted to our office on or before the original due date of the return being extended;
  2. you are not delinquent in the filing or payment of Urbana city tax for any prior tax year;

Why is City taxable income on my W-2 higher than Federal or State taxable income?

It is federal and state tax policy to give tax preference or to defer tax on some types of income. For example, to encourage people to save for retirement, income put into a pension plan is not taxed for federal or state purposes until it is received as a pension. Cities in Ohio, however, do tax that income when it is earned (set aside), but don’t tax it when it’s paid out in your retirement years.

Can I be assessed penalty, interest and late filing fees?

Penalty and interest charges are levied unless required payments are made when due. Late fee and Penalty amounts effective 2016

My child is working part-time while at college. Are they required to file and/or pay Urbana income tax?

Yes, so long as their official residence is in Urbana. If they officially change their residency to the city in which they are attending college, they will not have to pay Urbana income tax. However, they may be required to pay income tax to their new city.

If I moved to Urbana part way through the year, do I have to pay tax on my income for the entire year?

No, Urbana permits prorating of income for new residents. To calculate how much of your income you will need to pay tax on, divide your income by 12 and then multiply the result by the number of months that you lived in Urbana last year. Any tax that was withheld from your wages is also prorated as above.

Are Schedule C, E, or F losses allowed to be used against W-2 income?

No. Schedule C, E, and F losses cannot be used against W-2 income; however, business or rental loss may be used to offset the corresponding business or rental profit.

Does Urbana allow business losses to be carried forward?

Yes. Losses can be carried forward for three (3) years.

Who must file a declaration of estimated tax?

Every taxpayer who will owe at least Two Hundred Dollars ($200) more than what will be withheld by his/her employer will be set up on estimated payments beginning with the 2016 tax year. 

To avoid unnecessary correspondence and delays in processing your return:

  • Fill out the form completely
  • Attach ALL W-2’s and/or federal schedules
  • Enclose payment for balance due.  Make check payable to City of Urbana
  • DO NOT send cash in the mail
  • Be sure to sign your return and check

If you have any questions not addressed, please call (937) 652-4314 or e-mail your questions to